"Deepening Myaamia connections through research, education, and outreach."
The Myaamia Nation will be strengthened through the revitalization of our distinct ways of knowing, speaking, and being.
The Myaamia Center, a Miami Tribe of Oklahoma initiative located within an academic setting at Miami University in Oxford, OH, serves the needs of the Myaamia people, Miami University, and partner communities through research, education, and outreach that promote Myaamia language, culture, knowledge, and values.
The Myaamia Center has two main purposes:
- To conduct in-depth research to assist tribal educational initiatives aimed at the preservation of language and culture. This research is used to create a wide range of educational models and materials for community language and cultural programs.
- To expose undergraduate and graduate students at Miami University to tribal efforts in language and cultural revitalization. Student experiences are gained through a wide range of activities, including visits to Oklahoma, direct involvement in research initiatives, class visitations by Center staff, and access to Miami Tribe language and cultural resources.
The Myaamia Center is directly supported by the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma and Miami University. Anyone committed to helping perpetuate Miami language and culture for future generations is welcome to participate. Contact our office to get involved.
To learn more about the relationship between the tribe and the university, subscribe to the newsletter, see events, and more, please visit the Myaamia Center website.
News from the Myaamia Center
- New exhibit explores revitalization of Miami, Peoria tribes' art form
A recently opened exhibit in Oxford explores the practice of creating painted deerskin hides by the Miami and Peoria tribes of Oklahoma. Tana Weingartner, 91.7 WVXU, February 7, 2024
- Minohsayaki 'Painted Robes' Exhibition at Miami University gives voice to Peewaalia and Myaamia peoples
The exhibition, which runs from Jan. 30 through June 8, will feature a number of recent examples of painted deer hides and document the process of revitalization of this tradition after its decline from the 1700s. Miami University Communications and Marketing, Jan 23, 2024
- Myaamia Center - A New School Year at Miami University - September, 2023
Letter from Daryl Baldwin, Executive Director of the Myaamia Center, to update on current activities, recent accomplishments, and future plans of the Myaamia Center at Miami University. https://miamioh.edu/myaamia-center/myaamia-center-newsletters/2023/september/index.html Myaamia Center Staff, September 15, 2023
- Citizens of Indigenous Ohio nations give fuller picture of state history
Citizens of indigenous nations provide a more complete picture of Ohio history. Chris Welter, WYSO, August 24, 2023